South Carolina and North Carolina have had a few crazy years of weather—everything from record-setting drought to record-setting floods. Among all the other problems this weather causes, it influences the pests in and around your home. In fact, weather is one of the main factors affecting when ants might invade your yard and your house.
GET RID OF YOUR ANTS NOW
Ants come marching in
Many people believe that ant infestations mean that their homes are unclean, but often, that’s not the case. Instead, ants commonly come inside during times of heavy rains because—like humans—they want a safe, dry place to live. So when the rains get heavy, you can expect ants to make their way into your house by any means possible—cracks in windows, gaps between bricks, or doors that don’t seal fully shut, to name a few.
The most common types of ants in the Carolinas that invade homes after rain include Argentine ants, odorous ants, pharaoh ants, thief ants, and carpenter ants. All of these types of ants—small, dark insects that don’t sting or bite—are frequently referred to as sugar ants.
A few ants mean a big problem
Initially, you may see just a few ants and think it’s not a problem, but often, you’re seeing only the 10% of a colony that goes scouting for food. That means the other 90% of the ants are in other parts of your house, hidden in the walls and enjoying their new, dry home.
It’s important to get rid of an ant infestation, and not just because it’s a nuisance. Some ants can invade your food, spread disease, or even destroy your property. And the more you allow ants to make themselves at home, the harder it is to get rid of them.
Ants piling up outside
Additionally, rainy weather affects fire ants and other outdoor ants. You may notice fire ant mounds popping up in your yard after heavy rains. This is because the ground they live in has become saturated, so they have to build higher to get to drier land. These higher mounds not only look unsightly, but they house thousands of ants that can sting and really hurt anyone who crosses their path.
How to get rid of ants after rain
While there are countless home remedies to get rid of ants, the most effective way to treat ants is to hire a pest control specialist. The experienced, trained professionals at Thompson Brothers know the most effective ways to treat your indoor ant problems, ensuring that the ants die without harming other people or pets in your home. We also provide fire ant solutions to make sure that your yard remains safe.
Don’t let rainy days lead to ant problems in your home. Contact Thompson Brothers today for a free initial estimate to get rid of your household or outdoor ants.
FREE estimates with no obligations! Outstanding personal service, quality, integrity, and guaranteed results! The best pest protection for your home and family's health.
Thompson Brothers Exterminating and Waterproofing has been serving families and businesses in North Carolina and South Carolina for over 60 years, and we look forward to serving you. We are happy to provide free estimates with absolutely no obligation to you.
Thompson Brothers does an excellent job spraying my home throughout each season to keep unwanted pests out. They are locally owned and customer service is a top priority.
We had extensive water intrusion that our inspector did not see. Thompson Brothers had to engage in grading, extensive digging, reinstallation of French drains, and install a new drainage field. The work was excellent. All personnel is polite, on time, and very professional. Highly recommend.